Palliative Care Consults
Palliative Care Consults provide clinical guidance for physicians and their patients to assist with symptom management and advance care planning. Palliative Care Consults are provided by board-certified palliative care physicians and nurse practitioners, to patients in the comfort of their own residence. Our Palliative Care Consultants help physicians care for their patients with complex symptom management needs. Patients may continue usual treatment (including curative care). Our goal is to be an added layer of support in the care of patients facing serious illness or complicated medical decisions.
eligibility and referral:
- Patient lives in the Mid-Willamette Valley and is facing serious illness: for example, cancer, or advanced heart, kidney, liver, neurological, or pulmonary disease.
- Primary diagnosis of concern is not a mental health disorder or active substance use disorder
- Patient is 18 years of age or older.
- Primary care provider or specialists who oversees the patient’s care is willing to collaborate with our palliative care specialist in that care.
- Patient has active symptoms that are causing distress.
- Patient desires support in comprehensive advance care planning. This may include help with issues such as: identifying an appropriate surrogate decision-maker, talking to friends and family about one’s condition, or mediating family conflict about care the patient desires.
- Specific conditions and services covered will depend on the patient’s insurance benefits.
Please talk to your physicians if you are interested in our Palliative Care Consults service.